Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Friday, November 19, 2021

Koda's Meet and Greet and Welcome little Shanti

12-year-old back country boy Koda is a home boy and is always by his mom or dad's side. 

He had a very unfortunate run in with a car last summer. Today he has recovered but now has some pain/discomfort in his hind end. Koda is on pain management meds and happily seems to be doing very well. Although now, he can no longer manage the day to day in and out car rides and can't be left at home while mom and dad are at work. He needs to be in a safe place a few days a week.
Enter Royal K9 Korner Daycare.
When Koda came up the stairway to our yard he seemed eager but skeptical. He is a very smart boy and watches every move his mom makes. He seemed quite interested in checking out  the doggy smells in the yard but stuck right by his mom's side. He seemed very happy and when something really captured his interest he made sure not to miss it. As mom and I strolled around the yard Koda was right there. If mom was a few feet away, he would glace over several times to make sure there was very little distance.  If I could read minds I would guess he knew something was up and wanted to stay on top of whatever it was.
There was absolutely no issues when it was time to introduce Lady May and little Suzy Q
They greeted each other politely and were ready to head out to the yard. Cool, that was easy peasy!

Suzy Q - "Okay, this is boring. Now what?"
Koda's mom and I discussed the best day for a trial visit. She explained his degree of separation anxiety and we set up the best way to help this boy get used to daycare.  Further into his visit with his mom he was happy to relax and easily allowed my touches and shows of affection towards him. His temperament was easy going with a calm demeanour.  He laid comfortable on the floor beside mom while we completed paperwork  and decided the very next day would best for him to come for a 4 hour previsit. Mom and dad would be easily available if it was too difficult for Koda to stay with out them and no other daycare visitors were scheduled for that day. Set!  We'll see you tomorrow Koda!
Off they went and we carried on with the rest of our day. 

10 year old bulldog mix Shanti
arrived in her winter coat at 9:30 pm
As we were getting ready for bed that night, my phone went off but I decided it was too late for business phone calls and I would leave it till the morning. It went off two more times within a few minutes and then went to a text message. I could not let it go without checking into it. I'm so glad I did. The caller turned out to be a lady who was desperately looking for a safe and warm place for her little bulldog to stay. She and her hubby had spent the last night sleeping in their car after being stuck behind a mudslide trying to make it back home to Vancouver. They had just travelled through the town of Merritt in disbelief and alarm. They had made it to our town but could not go any further due to more road closures. The next day they found a B&B but it was not dog friendly. She was worried about her little Shanti spending time alone or being in the car over night again! Well! My heart was opened and so was my door.
Enter little Shanti.
After filling out an application and going through a shortened version of a M&G mom left with a smile  and little Shanti wiggled her way into our hearts.  Lady May was too sleepy to do any serious introduction but accepted Shanti's presence with ease.
Such a good girl Lady May!
10 year old Shanti took a few minutes to feel comfortable enough to eat.
Soon she gobbled her dinner and settled in for the night.
As per all newcomers to RK9Korner, Shanti was fitted for a halter before we took her out for her final piddle.  She was quick to find her 'spot' and headed straight to the door to be cozy and warm again. Her mom had thoughtfully brought Shanti's blanket so settling was easy for her that night.
Do you mean I'm staying over night here tonight?
Yep, you are little girl. As soon as you're completely relaxed we'll tuck you into bed.

Sweet dreams Shanti. See you in the morning
We never heard a peep from her all night long. Well, okay. That's not exactly true. This little girl has a very big snore going on! It's common for her breed and we just giggled.  When Lady May woke the next morning, Shanti followed her routine and was ready to head out for her morning ritual.
She fell into step with having to wait for me to get my boots and coat on and waited with Lady May like a little doll.
I dunno what's goin' on but I hope it involves a potty break"

When her morning business was complete she headed straight back to the door she had exited and waited patiently on the heated mat. No body had to tell her twice where the warm spot was.
SO darn cute!  Thank you HeatTrack for my heated snow mats. Yay, no slipping first thing in the morning. Every entrance to our home is now has snow/ice free.
BONUS - They keep a water bucket from freezing. I know! Great eh?

Yay, I can wait till your ready to go in now my bottom is warm.
Being a senior has its advantages when it comes to using past knowledge. Shanti knew to follow Lady May's lead when it was time for breakfast.
Oh, okay. I get it. We wait here until that lady gives us our bowls. Cool. I can do that!
I'm having fun getting to know Shanti and her funny little quirks. I was happy her mom and dad and had her bundled up in a snow coat. She's far to little with to light a coat of her own to keep warm in our dropping temps. Fortunately The rain had stopped. I could see the sky filling with snow clouds. I tried to keep my mind on the dogs and not let it wander to those who had been trapped in the mudslides on the hwys of BC. My heart goes out to all those lost and the families in grief through this troubling time.
Shanti was good for my soul this day. She certainly loves the snow! Of course! Here's a little video of her first play with us. It was difficult to capture her little zoomies. Being cooped up in a car for the length of time she was she was very anxious for me to throw a toy for her.
I think she's enjoying herself. What do you think?
With the sky threatening snow, the temp had warmed up enough for Shanti to play outdoors with out her coat. We kept a safety halter on her as per our norm. I need to have quick access to newcomers and I dont believe in tugging on neck collars. Shanti didn't seem to mind it at all. Good Girl Shanti.
Oh I can see the road from here! Maybe mom will come to play with me.
Her mom and dad did come to play with her!  As a matter of fact they came and picked her up to be with them for a while the next day. Shanti's little tail wiggled wildly. What a good mom and  dad.
For today she had another buddy to meet. 12 yr old Koda was on his way for his trial day. I had no idea little Shanti would be here today. She seems to be a well adjusted girl and I know my abilities with anxious dogs. So I set my sights on preparing the house for the possible separation I may need.
I told Lady May and she was ready!
Come on over Koda. We're ready for you
Sweet Shanti and Lady May wait for Koda to arrive.

No comments: