Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Royal K9 Korner's Memory Rock Garden

 For quite some time now, I've been wanting to redo the small rock garden at the entryway of my yard.  It was initially placed there to try to eliminate the muddy area that never seemed to be able to grow grass. It's where I stand when Im greeting incoming dogs, especially in wet weather.  I guess I shuffle my feet and apparently scrub away any new growth.
So a few years ago I dug it out, levelled it and added a poly cover to keep weeds at bay. I decided to gather up all the rocks and stones of all sizes and shapes around the yard and filled the area so I had a clean, dry place to stand. It seemed to work great. Until of course, as Mother Nature continues to work her natural magic, the poly deteriorated, there was deadened and crispy old leaf remains, weeds poking through and the area was beginning to look 'shabby'.  It was still keeping the mud away and allowing me to greet the dogs but something was missing.  I tried adding a few flower pots to brighten it up. It was sufficient, but I still wasn't really satisfied.

Khione says, "it's just fine Lady. I like it."
...and then lil Molly passed and I had her and so many other visitors before her come flooding into my memory.
I have created a small area in a different garden where lil Molly is 'placed'. (Watch for a follow-up post)
It put my mind in motion and the creative juices, as it were, flowed for this spot.
I removed all the stones, dug out and levelled the area, replaced the poly and began to replace the stones one by one. 
Freshened but still lacking something

As I worked I had a few visitors that would come to investigate what I was doing. It made me rethink of all the times I had a sweet little nose or a big lolling tongue at me while I was digging or working on my knees in my gardens. If only there was a way to add those happy memories into a reality.
I felt a sudden rush of excitement and a huge smile forced it's way onto my face. I knew what I wanted.

I sat down and listed all the dogs that ever officially shared in Royal K9 Korner's fun times in our yard.
That was the easy peasy part. 43 names in total. From the Fall of 1999 until today Summer of 2022

I held the list for many days and reviewed each and every memory of each and every one. Some I laughed out loud to and some I cried for. All brought a small pang to my heart as I remembered so many happy days. 
I decided I needed to print each ones name on a stone and place them into a Memories Rock Garden.

And so it began.  I dug out my acrylics, (Thank you Aunty Paula) and sorted through the colours. Pink for girls, blue for boys.
Wait a minute. That's going to be really boring and kind of 'standard'  That is so, not me! There must be a way to colour group other than that!  I added a third colour and continued to think and remember as I painted. I found I was beginning by painting all those who have crossed Rainbow Bridge. Sadly, an already established group. Okay that's alright. I can do this.  There are now 17 royals in this group. I decided I would randomly paint with various colours.  Ok, they will be Group 1.

The first 3 visitors to receive daycare. Ricky, Flan and Mars, long since passed over Rainbow Bridge.
The leaders who are the beginning of Group 1

Of course there is another couple of groups already established. There are 8 in our Royal's immediate family. 5 have already passed and 3 are still reigning.  Group 2 done.
They need to be specially painted. right? Right, okay gold paint and purple text.

The golden stones for The immediate Royal family.
Group 2

Okay so, now, how to create another group?  That wasn't too difficult. There are some visitors who no longer require daycare or have moved away. They are all still deep within my heart and continue to share in my special memories. So, 14 sweeties in Group 3 created, painted and placed.
It's now beginning to come together and I'm feeling pleased. 

Cash gives it his seal of approval.
"You know this is boring right lady? When do you paint my name?"
And thus the final group. Those Royal subjects who are frequent/regular visitors to date.
Surprisingly there are just 8 at the moment. As does everyone else, they hold a very special place in my heart and will always and forever remain there. The final Group 4 painted, placed, and forever cherished
Royal K9 Korner's Royal Memory Rock Garden to be continued . . .

My goal is to replenish, repaint, renovate and add as the years go by. It will be a joy to clean out fallen leaves and remove Mother Natures effects. As I kneel to work in this garden I will be laughing at those little poking noses or those big lolling tongues that urgently  required my immediate attention. I will laugh and remember.
Thank you for finding that special place in my heart and memory.

I hope you'll stop by to read their names in days to come. It will be here. Waiting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to remember them all! And it turned out quite impressive.

Royal K9 Korner said...

Yes, I'm pleased enough for sure. I will always remember ALL my darlings, but now, it's sure nice to actually see their names each and every day!