Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Why Have A Prearranged Sleepover?

At Royal K9 Korner we know staying over night can be stressful to some dogs and their parents.  We want to create an opportunity for new comers to feel comfortable when they have no choice in needing daycare.  We love trial sleep overs.  It makes the adjustment much easier when the day comes that mom and dad must leave town. Not everyone who visits has that opportunity and we certainly accommodate those, but we sure recommend it!

"The Bernie Brothers" Hoss & Festus had a sleep over.
Hoss,"When are mom and dad
coming back?

We were thrilled their mom and dad agreed to it. These two "brothers" were a delight to have over night.  We knew they weren't sure of all the evening routines, yet they accepted my leadership and happily complied. We spent time checking out rooms and sleeping areas. Even though they've visited before, end of day is so different. Things are winding down and tummies are empty. Regular playtime is over. It's a time to get ready for the evening and show where sleep time will be and the all important, where is my food bowl?

Hoss & Festus arrived later in the day and were already in relaxation mode.  They came in, said their 'Hellos' to The Royals, and did the usual walk through checking important things out. Like toys! They each had a drink of water and then were eager to find their designated eating spot.  I like to show them where their bowls are before its time to eat as a reassurance.
Don't worry boys, your mom remembered your food. 

We gave Lady May ample opportunities to stay in a safe area. Although she's already met the boys, it took her awhile again, to gain her confidence around them. They are big boys and she is not stable on her feet. 
Lady May makes a quick retreat to a safety area.
Festus,"Hey! Look, mom packed our food too?"
Once they know their bowls are in place it's easier to have a bit of quiet time.  After dinner, Hoss was sure to let me know, there should be a treat. Yes, you're right Hoss, mom packed it for you.  I love when dogs can tell me there is a routine they're used to. One that I should follow. I also love when moms and dads give me that information in advance. It makes for no guessing what that "thing" is.   I promise, boys, I won't forget your treats.  You sure deserve it. Besides it keeps your teeth healthy and your breath fresh!
Hoss crunching his after-dinner teeth cleaning treat
He chooses to be separate from his brother during treat time. Smart boy!
When all the mats and quilts had been tested, each found one comfy enough for a little after dinner rest. Another important time for social bonding.  I always watch for any beginning signs of anxiety or a lack of relaxation. Festus was ready to have a bit of quiet time.  He happily searched the toys for a good after dinner chew and quickly relaxed. Hoss was not so sure he really wanted to be here and asked to go out to see if mom and dad were coming back yet.  We took a few walks round the yard and checked out the gates. With some words of reassurance and cuddles, he decided mom and dad weren't coming back yet.  Hoss was ready to head back indoors for quiet time.  
After a deep sigh we knew Hoss was settling and would be okay

Hoss is a very loving boy with clear signals that make it easy to understand him.  He really didn’t want to be here but agreed to try it out.  We had lots of cuddle time and it didn’t take him long to show he was relaxed enough to stay and soon would be ready to sleep.  Good Boy Hoss. I know it's difficult for you. You can do this!

It was almost bed time before Lady May felt confident enough to allow the boys to lay beside her.  Hoss was a true gentleman and gave her the space she needed. Even though Festus is still a puppy, he was able to recognize her insecurity and responded accordingly to her social cues. Well done puppy Festus. You're a very good boy.
Lady May, "Gee mom, do we have to have boys here?"
When bedtime rolled around, we sauntered outdoors for a last piddle and then headed downstairs for the night.  Festus walked straight into the bedroom and chose his spot. Hoss was a little more reluctant about the sleepover. He headed for the stairs and looked back at me as if to say, "Ummm lady? I think I want my mom now, okay?"  We went outside one more time to check the gates and then back downstairs.  I took some time to cuddle him and reassure him he was safe here and redirected him back to the sleeping areas.  This time he walked into the bedroom and chose a mat at the foot of the bed and circled into a spot. Good boy Hoss.
Hoss, "Okay, I'll stay. I hope mom and dad don't forget me"
I believe its important to give new over night visitors a bit of reassurance without over indulging.  I need them to know there is no reason to worry. I use a calm "matter of fact" voice and gestures to show we are going to sleep now. New comers need to choose a spot. I don't allow dogs to sit by the door or pace.  That is a clear sign of anxiety and shows they are not ready for bedtime. I want to squash that immediately with redirection and sometimes another walk around the yard before bedtime. It can be difficult for some dogs to understand mom and dad are not coming back yet. Everything we do between after dinner and bedtime is setting up for this moment.  By sleep time I want visitors to be relaxed enough to have a good nights rest.  I keep a soft night light with me so I can watch to see that they're relaxing enough to fall asleep.
Fortunately, these two beautiful boys settled easily. They were ready to sleep. They had chosen a temporary spot and moved to different places through out the night. Each one of them left the bedside mats to lay in a cooler place. That's good info for me to have for their next sleep over. I'll be sure to have a more accommodating light weight mat positioned for them.  Thank you, boys.

The Bernie Brothers, Fast Asleep
(Yes, that's The Princess in the background, now wearing her BIG cone.)
By the time the morning came, they were well rested and more comfortable with our eating routine and fell into step for breakfast like perfect gentlemen.   
Hoss, "Hey Mrs, Where's my breakie?"
It wasn't long before they were ready for mom and dad to pick them up to have a wonderful day together. They knew it was time to go and they still complied to my request for calm before mom opened the door to greet them.  They were so good!! 
Pssst, hey bro? I think I hear mom and dad!
I believe these two fellas are ready and will be comfortable to the fullest when they need to return.  I sure hope mom and dad had as restful a night during their boys' absence.  Thank you for allowing them to have this opportunity!

These gentlemen will be visiting us again near the end of Dec
We are looking forward to their stay. Thanks for visiting boys. You were very good!!

2 comments:

Jean said...

That look on Lady May's face! Priceless!

Del said...

lol Ya. Shes not all that pleased is she? lol
She sure is a tolerant little girl though.