Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Sunday, March 20, 2016

The first day of Spring 2016

I am lying watching as my mommy works on her computer. I’m in my special place beside her. I have a thick cozy mat to lay on. Everyone in my pack knows this is my spot. As a matter of fact, “My Spot” is directly beside where ever my mommy is. It always has been. I do not roam far from her. She calls me her shadow and hugs my neck. She loves me and I know it very well. I came to live with my family in 2009. At the time, they guestimated my age. We were told I was somewhere between 6 – 10. Yes, I know, that’s a big gap. As the years have sauntered by, we have decided that I must have been born in and around 2002. Even if we are not right, it’s what my mom and dad have decided will be my birthday year. I was rescued from the forest along with my pack, Bella, Spring and Chinook in 2008 on April 28th (Thank you again Uncle Lou and Aunty Bonny) I lived for a year at Turtle Gardens Animal Rescue Society until I was adopted in 2009. (Thank you Mamma Yvette) So mom said my birthday will be April 28 2002. That means I’m now almost 14 years old.
I have lived a wonderful life. I do not remember much of my life before 2008. I know I was at one time cared for very much. My mom says I must have been. I am such a good boy. I am so gentle and kind to all I meet. She says whatever happen to drive me away from where ever I was raised must have been very bad, but I don’t remember it. Mom says I have an incredible will to Survive. She says it must come from when I was left to heal my self over a very cold winter with a femur that was completely broken in two places. Staying alive with my pack, living off the land. That was then. This is now. I am living the life of Riley. My dolce’vita. My new pack treats me with dignity and respect. My mom and dad say that’s what I deserve. I have been well loved, cared for and I am happy. The years are ticking by and I am getting very old now. I have been showing signs of my age for over a year.
A few weeks ago, I woke to find I was unable to lift myself up out of bed. I had difficulty breathing and I could hear my mom telling dad to get up and call my doctor. I was vaguely aware of my surroundings but I knew if I let my mom and dad take charge they would sort everything out. In the past, they have always been able to help me find some strength left in me to get me back on my feet again. I recall being in the doc’s office that morning. He was poking a needle in my arm. I was so tired and I almost fell a sleep a couple of times. Mom and dad and the Doc spoke for a very long time and the Doc gave me another needle at the base of my neck. It soon made me feel a little better and I was able to breathe easier. Mom and dad were crying and holding onto me and each other. I knew this was serious. My heart would not stop racing and I did not feel well at all. I heard the word, Hemangiosarcoma. www.caninecancer.com/Hemangiosarcoma

I was so happy when they lifted me back into the car so I could fall asleep for the 1 hour ride back home. Soon I was back with my Princess MollyDawg and Little Lady May. I went right to bed and drifted off to sleep again. It was still difficult to breath, my heart was still racing. I woke when it was dinner time and was offered the biggest, juiciest dinner I have had in a long, long time. Unfortunately, I only ate a bit. I was not very hungry.
Mom gave me a pill and a whole lot of hugs and kisses. She talked a lot to me and although I couldn’t quite put my paw on it, I knew she was telling me something very important. I heard her say she loves me. I know those words very well. She and dad slept right beside me with their arms wrapped around me all night that night.

Today begins week two and I have lost a lot of weight. I can breathe easier now. My heart rate is back to almost normal. I am still getting up to go out for my business and I am very hungry all the time. Mom says its because of the pills she`s giving me. Prednisone. I`m also taking a pill called Omeprazole. It helps me to keep my food down. I`ve started vomiting a lot now.
Mom is feeding me soft pureed chicken and rice with a bit of canned dog food for extra vitamins. I have it every two hours. 1/2 cup at a time. That is easier on my tummy and I only seem to vomit a bit of liquid at around midnight now.
I don’t do much through out the day. I sleep most of the time. My girls, P. MollyDawg and L. Lady May are always by my side and I feel their comfort. I know my days are numbered now. I feel my strength going quickly. My mom and dad still give me all the love they always have. They give me pills that make me feel better. My mom put my belly band on me so I don’t have to worry about the dribble I do now.
When I puke mom or dad just stroke my head and say, ”Its okay Buddy.”

I love my mom and dad.
I know I’ll be leaving them soon.

No comments: