Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Does Dog Sitting Ever Get Boring?

Some people ask if I get tired of dog sitting.
Well, in my eyes, that's like asking a mother if she gets tired of her children!! So, yes sometimes I feel exhausted. Am I likely to change my business any time soon. No! Of course not!! I love 'my' dogs! All of them.
There are some days when I can sit quietly in the shade and supervise while I'm reading my book. Not all days are Run 'n Chase puppy days.

Miss Mylu and Master Rookie enjoy a placid afternoon in the shade
I can sit on my bench and read or watch them from my patio
while I do my house chores. No worries at all.
How quickly our day events change depends on who's visiting that particular day. We bounce between the speed loving, energy plus dogs to the tranquil, like to be left alone personalities.  Sometimes it changes mid day if we have an unexpected visitor stop by.
I haven't sat down to count how many frequent us lately, but I know there's about a dozen. It can get very busy on any given day. Especially if we get an unscheduled furry in due to an emergency at their home. 
One of the reasons I insist on a pre meet and greet is for those unexpected events.

On most days we only have an extra two furries here. It always works well when someone needs sitting and I already have someone scheduled.  I like it best when there is more than one extra furry.   It means there will be somebody else here, other than the  old fragile "Royal Girls" to entertain them. 

We sometimes have visitors who don't get along very well. I try to set a goal those days, to allow for as many safe, positive interactions as possible during their stay.  There is always a gate between them when needed.  I will also provide extra safety by placing a second gate two feet away.   Sometimes having opportunities for those who don't get along,  just to be in each others presence in a safe environment is enough to help them relax. They may even begin to accept each other.
How long is morning rest time?
The gates also provide a bit of security for The Royals. It allows a bit of a reprieve from active puppies and a rest from having to deal with others when they've had enough. Some of our gates are simple dividers while others are more sturdy for ensured safety.  All are used in a positive manner, reinforcements are always given when a gate is being used. They are NEVER used to lock a dog alone in a room for any reason what-so-ever! 

Sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge to keep everyone happy and receiving full positive attention.
I'm very 'up' for the challenge and always look carefully at my calendar to see who's here on which days.  Do I ever turn dogs away?  Yes, I absolutely have to sometimes. It's necessary for not over crowding.
I also need to take breaks for my personal life and my Royal Girls. We are still a family and need our personal space as well.
We just have a very extended family and continue to love every minute of it.
Even on those days when I am run ragged. It's those quiet nights seeing those tired, sleepy eyes in bed that make me smile and say,  "Yes,  little one. You are safe with us until your mommy and daddy can come back home to you.
Sweet Dreams Little River.
You'll see your mommy and daddy tomorrow.

1 comment:

CarolineA said...

You are truly a 'home away from home' and I really like that you have your pet first aid and so much knowledge to keep everyone safe and happy.