Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Friday, March 24, 2023

A Fun Reunion, An Introduction & A First Bath

It's been a long time since Countess River and Sir Bentley visited together. They were finally able to meet for a playday last week. I love the energy and friendship between these two. Both just want to play and run after\with a ball.
Sir Bentley has the tendency to fixate on the ball and never misses a beat. He watches which ball is his and waits until it’s thrown before he goes for it. Countess River on the other hand is more a hunter/searcher girl. If there’s a ball thrown she’s after it unless something distracts her. Like a sunbeam!

River - "Hey! Wait! I think I saw something shiny!"

They’re both full of fun and happiness and love to be engaged. The weather was warm, the sun was shining and the ground was dry. Perfect outdoor play conditions. River has recovered from surgery, not long ago and is also healing a sore front leg. I kept a very close eye on her movements. Happily she doesn't seem to be showing any residual soreness or stiffness. Just a lot of happy play.

Check out a short video clip of outdoor fun here - Here
By the time Sir Bentley was close to heading home, we were all ready for a nap and everyone was smiling. Even our very own Lady May. She can no longer participate in ball play but she is very eager to stick close to “ball dawgs” Riv & Bentley during play or rest time. She will ask to be moved close to them and keeps a smile on her face and ball between her paws. That’s her way of participating.
 
It's nap time now right?  Yes, sweetie go to sleep and I'll prepare lunch for you.

Countess River takes a much needed break before puppy Bailey arrives

On the morning of the day Countess River was to head home, 8 month old Squire Bailey arrived for his weekend visit. I was happy his dad had time to stay for the introduction. I knew Riv would be tired and Bailey would be raring to go. Bailey has met several dogs in his few months but is still learning impulse control. He is still growing and learning about his body size and his weight.  River is a little tuffy even though she's petite. I felt a need stay close and to protect her from any over affectionate pounces from the large, happy, puppy Bailey. I really didn't have to worry, River can take care of herself just fine and let Bailey know quickly when he was getting out of control. Very well done Countess! You are such a good girl! 

Bailey - "Okay! I heard you! You don't have to yell!"
The two played together very well indoors and I kept young Bailey on lead during outdoor play. There was enough energy release during the day for them to crash early and sleep peacefully that night. I'm sure as Bailey learns from the seniors, he's going to be one great playmate!

When I love puppies the best!

The next day was a very special day for young Bailey. His mom and dad asked if I could introduce him to a bath. It was still too chilly for an outdoor bath, so I filled up the bathtub while Bailey watched from the edge. We played with it for a while as he happily lapped at the running water and enjoyed special liver treats.
When it was time to try getting in, our daddy helped to lift Bailey over the edge. He sat like a very good boy and only whimpered a time or two until he realized it was nice and warm and quite comfortable. I lathered him up and soaped him down and rinsed him off with out a hitch. What an excellent bath boy you are Bailey!  

Sudsy boy Bailey first bath!

After a few more cookies, a nice fluffy towel off and fur tussle Bailey decided to cozy and fall asleep.

Clean, warm and cozy
Bailey has the most beautiful coat.  His thick back and shoulder fur is long, sleek, shiny and parted down the middle. His long lower back fur is the curliest I've seen in a long time. It's hard to capture it on camera but believe me, it's adorable.
Clean and shiny
The sun was shining and there was actually a bit of warmth to it so we headed outdoors for a short while. Of course I kept a lead on him so there was no chance of a roll in a dirt patch.  When we cam back indoors he promptly found Lady May to cozy beside. He seems to love that with her and often tries to unsuccessfully tempt her into play. She's an old girl now Bailey. You'll have to try another buddy another day boy.
Watch his video here Bailey Tries To Initiate Play With Lady May
 It was a full day for Bailey, and after a yummy filled kong, he fell fast asleep and waited for his dad to pick him up.
Bailey - "Oh man I love doggy daycare!"
See you again soon Bailey. There are lots more buddy's  waiting for you and now you're all clean and ready to meet them!

Okay so maybe you're not so bad after all. BUT, You're a PUPPY! Drat!
If you know me at all, you know, I am not a puppy lover.  I have to admit, watching him learn makes me smile. Okay, maybe I love you puppy Bailey. Well, only Sort'a, 'cuz, after all you ARE a puppy!

No comments: