Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Sunday, March 5, 2023

In Like a Lion

The first days of March brought snow and freezing winds. I know it won’t last, and we’re on our way towards Spring. “In Like a Lion …” Right?  Man, oh man, it certainly entered with a roar. I sure hope it exits like a lamb. 

Bailey and Khione and Ruby loved every minute of it. They still have their winter coats on and are oblivious to the temps. I have to admit I’m tired of sporting a scarf, boots, and a heavy coat. If only I was fur covered and just had to walk out the door. Khione only stayed a day but it gave her ample enough time to play with young Bailey.

Squire Bailey - "Look Lady Khione, I bring you toys"
Lady Khione - "I will look later."

Her demeanour has softened around the youngster now. I’m sure it’s from being with her puppy brother at home. She was very tolerant of Bailey’s persistent play nudges, barks and bows. She would simply lay in place and look the other way. She chose playtime and the rules for the game. 

Khione selects the toys. Bailey hopes its his favourite tug toy.

A wonderful way for Bailey to brush up on acceptable social skills. Such a good girl you are Lady Khione.  When she finished with a toy and only then, she walked away and left it to Bailey.

Khione- "Enjoy my left overs."
Bailey - "Oh goody I like this one"

The snow disappeared in a couple of days and the sun shone through. Sweet Sir Lokie also joined us for a day visit and met the ‘Wrangatangs’, Ruby and Bailey. There was a short meeting between them and the remainder of the day they were kept separate. Loki enjoyed ball time with me and quiet time with Lady May. He went home happy and tired. 

Loki sauntering during a quiet moment with the "Wrangatangs' - Ruby and Bailey
The rules for a 'Wrangatang' game are pretty clear and simple. You must take turns. However, be sure to go Nuts! Zoom! Tug hard. Tussle and bite necks and legs and tails continuously. Lunge and jump and land heavily on the opponent. Ignore all other dogs, jump over them for extra points. Avoid smashing into them if they are in your way. Continue until the Lady of the house calls, “take a break’.  Then repeat, All-Day-Long, into the night unless separated by a gate. If so, leap it, points lost if you get caught. Sleep only when forced, eat if you must. Play hard and have fun. Points lost if you do not stop when House Lady calls ‘take a break’.
How long do we have to break for?

 After meal time is very difficult for these two. I insist on quiet, downtime for at least 2 hours for them.That means almost no contact. They are so sweet during this time but I hold firm. I refuse to have an unexpected emergency vet trip in the middle of the night due to GVD . They still try for rougher play or to go over the divider fence but I stand directly beside them and watch. They will share toys through a fence and whine to be closer. It's ok sweeties, I promise it wont be much longer. 

Bailey - "I miss  you Ruby. When can I bite you again?"
Ruby - "I know. I miss you too Bailey."
Later this week I have a return visit from Loki with his sister Sage and our Matron Sadie
I'm thinking this will be my 'Mellows' week.

So the first few weeks of March daycare, "in like a lion, and out like a lamb?"  I'm sure ready for it.

No comments: