Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Monday, March 27, 2023

Welcome 8 Year Old Kaia and 9 Month Old Brother, Kona.

Last Friday, we had a fun morning Meet & Greet and a short playtime in the afternoon. Two sweet Australian Shepherds, Kaia and Kona are being Welcomed to Royal K9 Korner!

Kaia - "But you're staying here too right dad?"
Kona - "No, it's ok sis.
I saw toys and cookies galore here!"
  Their mom and dad made a 2 hour drive to the
  Meet & Greet with us.  I'm so happy they did.
  I know it can be pretty inconvenient to travel that
  distance just for daycare. These two darlings will be
  visiting us over Easter. Mom and dad set up daycare
  in advance. Exactly what I try to promote to so
  many.  Mom and dad were not leaving their darling's
  needs to the last minute.
  Thank you for allowing us the pleasure of bringing
  them into our home.
     We can't wait for Easter 

You're right Kona. We have lots of toys for you. Kaia is a squeaky toy lover and Kona hasn't quite decided what his favourite toy type is yet. He loves them all. He especially loves to zoom and jump and charge around the yard.
Well, or course he does! He's a PUPPY! (oh boy, here we go again) I'm happy Kaia comes long!
Both have learned the important daycare manners. Even though this is their first visit with us, this is not there first daycare visit. It didn't take long for me to remove their safety leads during the free visit time.

Kona- "Come on Kaia. I have your squeaky ball! Catch me if you can!"
Kaia - "Maybe I'll choose another."

That's just what Kaia did. We had Khione and Lupin visiting the day before and I'm sure there is lots of fresh doggy scent on these toys. The smell was as fun as playing with them.
It wasn't long before Kona decided that pool looked inviting and came to check out what Kaia had found.

Kona - "She can't see me. I'll sneak a toy when she's not looking."
Kaia - "No, you wont Kona. I know you're there."
Before to long Kaia had discovered the perfect toy for her. A squeaky, cloth covered ball. Off she ran with it with her puppy brother in tow. Oh, I laughed! Up and down, back and forth and round and round they went. Finally Kaia allowed Kona a piece of the ball and 'tug' began. 

Kona - "See, I knew I cud catch you Kaia!"
Kaia - "You only have it, cuz I gave you a corner. Silly puppy brother."

When it was indoors time, Kona found the basket of toys on the porch and made short work of sorting them for me. thank you Kona. Hard toys to one side, shredded toys to another and front and foremost were the squeakys. I was wondering where all those were. Good work Kona! Thanks.
Kaia showed very little interest in the toys. She discovered she could see the front gate from the porch and went into sentry duty. I know little girl, mom and dad wont be long now. It's rest time for a bit first.

Kona toy sorting. Such a great helper. Thanks buddy!

Lady May was undecided if she wanted to rest or continue to play. Kona seemed to bring out play mode in her. It was nice to see her smile this day. 

Kaia -"Good, you two can play. I'm having a rest."
They did finally all rest for awhile but it wasn't long before puppy Kona found a 'just right' squeaky Frisbee and out the door we went again.

Comfortable but still playing. Such a puppy!

Kaia found a cool shady spot to lay while Kona did his best to entice her into play. 

Kona stays close to Kaia I'm sure ever hopeful she'll change her mind.

I'm sure when we have other visitors, Kona's attention will be distracted and the focus on Kaia will decrease. Although she really doesn't seem bothered by him. She certainly keeps him in line.

Kona- Yay! Thanks Kaia, Let's Go!
Kaia - "If I must."

Kaia is a very good big sister and Kona seems to love being by her side. Kaia found more important things to do and see and smell than just the toys. She spent time searching the entire yard and took in all the scents of all the other visitors. Kona stayed right by her side to help her.

Kona - "What did you find Kaia? Is it important?"
Kaia - "Yes, Kona. Smelling everything is very important."
There will be many more fresh scents for them before they return next month. I'm hopeful they'll be back many more times after that. They are a lovely pair and I'd love to see them meet more of our extended pack.
Welcome Kaia and Kona!
Kona and Kaia showing they know polite manners before heading outdoors.
Good dogs!

No comments: