Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Nugget Visited for The Weekend!

Oh man she is so small! 10 lbs of the cutest little tuffy I’ve ever snuggled with.
Bailey came for a day visit and was so happy to meet her. Nugget's little tail wiggled as soon as she'd given him the once over.
Bailey and Nugget meeting for the very first time.
Bailey’s social skills around little dogs is impeccable. He knew to steer clear of her during his zooms and to lay flat when he first met her. Oh, my goodness what a good boy!
Nugget was initially a bit reluctant but overcame her shyness with in a very short time. She has met many other dogs but tends to steer clear of the over excited boisterous ones. Now she has a big new buddy. Together they played by the pool in the heat of the day. I kept her on a long safety lead most of the day. Her recall is not 100% and she’s too quick to allow so much freedom in our big yard for this little one’s safety. 
Nugget - "Hey, pass me that toy will ya?"
Bailey - "No, I want it."

Nugget on a long safety lead strapped to my hip.
Nugget - "Just don't touch my toy okay?"
Loki - "What makes you think it's yours?"

Miss Sage and her brother Loki arrived soon after. Nugget took one look at them from the safety of the gated doorway. She immediately went into her biggest, scariest, stay away from me behaviour. It set off the barking from Sir Loki and sent Miss Sagie running for cover. Oooh kay so, we'll keep you all separate for a while and play this one by ear. And so, we did.
The day passed uneventful with no other fussing. Maybe Nugget felt the need to express herself at first meeting to set the grounds rules early on. It was enough to tell me not to trust leaving the 3 unattended in the living room if I needed to go to the kitchen. The separation gate went up when I left the room and the next few days were easy peasy.

Sage - "Hey? Can I share your toys?"
Nugget - "No! Go away!"

Due to the hot temps during her visit, ball play was limited and relaxing in the shade was encouraged. That can be a draining task when trying to keep the 3 ball dogs, Loki, Bailey and Nugget, occupied and they really just want to run and chase. Fortunately for me everyone agreed this time. It was too hot and outdoors became just a bit of relaxing shade time.

Loki - "When can we play ball?"
Me - "Later sweetie when the sun goes down."

Ball time was twice a day. First thing in the morning before the sun came up and later in the evening after the sun had gone to bed. The rest of the day was divided between A/C time and shady pool time.

The girl rest on the daybed in the A/C after morning ball play
This was a first sleep over for Nugget and I have to admit I wondered how she would handle not having her mommy to snuggle in bed with. I don't allow dogs to share our bed, unless it's a very special time. Like a big scary thunder storm. There was no thunder this night so an open door crate was offered to Nugget. To my surprise she walked right in, did a few scratches and circles and settled down to sleep. Thank you Nugget. That's a very good girl!

Nugget - "But don't lock me in okay?"
Lady May - "You can trust my mom, you can leave the crate whenever you want."

Of course the bedroom doorway gate was closed and Sage & Loki were safely separated by the other gate. All was quiet all night. Such great overnight visitors! Sometime through out the night Nugget had moved from the crate and asked to join me in my bed. When I placed her back down she simply chose the quilted bed and snuggled back to sleep.

Sage and Loki always sleep close by each other.
When one stirs the other just takes more of the bed.
The following days went by quickly and Nugget became more accepting of the other dogs. I kept the separator fence up but she had several opportunities for  'togetherness' times with Sage and Loki.
Her chosen rest place was the big crate next to the TV. She had gone into the other one that Bailey uses but decided this one would be 'hers'. She seems so little in it. Lots of room for toys to protect and keep way from the prying eyes of Sir Loki.
Nugget - "These are my toys. Paws off."
Nugget's first over night visit and meeting with the others went very well. I'm looking forward to any future visits from her.  She is definitely welcome back any time!

No comments: