Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Lista's Four Hour Visit

The lovely 1.5 year old Lista visited a few days ago. The day was mild but the ground was a soggy leafy mess. I limited our outdoor time and increased some indoor practise. First we headed indoors to practise going up and downstairs and waiting patiently while the door to outside was opened. Lista was very well behaved on all these. Her dad tells me the staircase at home is wide and allows Lista to walk beside them rather than behind. Our stairs here are narrow and steep.  I provided several opportunities for Lista to understand what I required of her.  After a few attempts she 'got it'. She needed to stay behind me. Next time she visits I'm sure only a brief review will be necessary. With several other dogs present the stairs can be a hazard for both me and them if bolting down or up is allowed. Following the simple rule of staying behind and walking slowly downstairs keeps everyone safe.
Way to go Lista! You got it! 

The private 4 hours we spend together is such a great opportunity for me to get to know how dogs react/respond to various daily happenings in an unfamiliar surrounding.  During future daycare many of the same things will happen but with distractions of other dogs. Knowing in advance how dogs may respond/react to events prepares me in advance to prevent unwanted safety issues. 

Some of the areas we review include my use of words that may be unfamiliar. I call dog daybeds mats  and bed mats, beds. The slight difference can be confusing if they haven't heard those terms before hand.  When I need them to be on a mat is very different than when I need them to be going to sleep in bed. Being on a mat may be due to a need for less commotion in the room, perhaps its nap-time, or its treat time or I need to tend to someone and I need everyone safe and away while they wait for my attention again.

Lista watched my signals closely and chose the mat I pointed to after just my 2nd direction.
During the day I often require the dogs to be in the safety of an area while I'm not physically present. It means the gates will be closed and I need to know they are comfortable when I leave the room. Every room in my house has a gate. I believe it's necessary for eating time to allow privacy and comfort. It can also allow for quiet time from other rowdier youngsters if need be. Some of the gates can be noisy and I want them to hear them open and close to prevent being startled in future. I believe it helps their comfort level when they hear them again on a later visit.
Lista waiting patiently for my return
She listened as I spoke to her from the kitchen, but made no attempts to jump the gate. Instead, she watched me the entire 10 minutes I puttered in the kitchen and did not lay down. She received a yummy carrot and sweet potatoe treat for such quiet behaviour. I'm sure this behaviour will be quite different with a house full of rowdies.
Lista - "Hey, Lady? when do the cookies come?"
Lista watched me take the vacuum out while she played with toys. Even when I turned it on, she just continued to play. Oh goodie I can vacuum during her visits!
Lista oblivious to the vacuum
Lista's favourite toy is definitely a ball.  She also loves squeakys and if it happens to be a ball that squeaks that's even better. We played outdoors for a very long time Lista loves to run and jump and will drop balls at my feet if I am not actively playing with her.
She watches me constantly for direction or cues on where to go next. It's very obvious her mom and dad have spent a great deal of time and patience on her training. I can't wait to see how Lista enjoys the company of a playmate.

I want all Lista's visits to be positive so I have made a note to self ~ Until I can be certain toy sharing  is well established, I'll be making a couple of toys disappear before a playday. One of the favourites is the little green soccer ball and I already know its also a favourite of a few others. Not everyone is willing to share that ball. It'll be set aside for a while.

It doesn't squeak but many dogs love this little green soccer ball
About 2.5 hours into our visit, Lista found a quiet spot beside the toy bin and closed her tired eyes.  She slept undisturbed for a half hour. I'm sure she would have slept longer but I needed to get my laundry and when I opened the gate behind her, she woke. "Is it play time yet?"

Shhh I'm sleeping

She waited patiently while I put my laundry in and kept a ball ready to head back outdoors again. We played ball together until dad came for her. When she returned home, mom said Lista was happy and tired. Oh good! I cant wait for her next visit.

Lista - "Are you ready to be thrown ball? I'm going to find you."

Thank you for your previsit Miss Lista. You showed me how smart and well behaved you can be.
Lista's next visit will be on the same day one of her good friends will be here. Sage and Lista often spend time together at home. I just know there's bound to be endless energy and zoomies happening that day. I better get my rest!

No comments: