Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Welcome 10 year old Karma

Welcome to the newest member of our extended pack, 10 yr. old Karma. A lovely Pembrook Corgi who came for a Meet & Greet just before Christmas. He and his mom have recently moved to our little town all the way from Oregon USA! Wow big move, right?
Karma has a wonderful personality and seemed to feel right at home during his M&G.
He relaxed very quickly and has 100% recall. There was no need for a safety lead on this boy.
He surveyed the yard in its entirety, leaving no leaf unturned. Indoors he followed his nose and checked out everything thoroughly.
He found a few toys and then decided his spot to watch for things would be on top of the front porch steps. A perfect place to sit when it's time to watch for mom.
A squeaky stuffy. May be one of Karma's favourite toys?
Watching and listening in relaxed mode

We were able to fit Karma’s first four hour visit in, just a couple of days ago.
What a darling gentleman he is. He followed me around the house and I went through my check list of activities getting to know his personality.  Much like many dogs, the vacuum can be a bit scary for Karma. So I spent some time allowing him to see it's safe and he could trust me in it's presence. Within a short time I was able to turn the vacuum on with him near by.  I will probably not use it when he visits but you never know!

 Karma can use the stairs just fine but I’m making the decision to avoid them and focus on the ramp entrances for him. Being 10 years old puts him on my ‘joint risk’ radar. He’s currently on joint meds and his mom and I agree there’s no need for him to have to force his joints pulling his long body up the high steps. He took to the ramp perfectly once he was directed to it. Good boy Karma.

 The height of the step verses Karma's body length tell me it's a struggle that we can avoid.

The ramp is so much easier on him.

Karma has very good listening skills. I asked him to stay and closed the gate to the living-room. I went through my kitchen routines while he sat behind a gate. I saw no concern from Karma. He just watched me and seemed to be wondering why I wasn't playing with him but stayed like a very good boy.

"Why you not play wiv me Lady?"
Once Karma knew what I was asking of him, he allowed me to try a few husbandry tasks. He was a bit hesitant in the beginning. I spent a good amount of time sitting stroking him in the presence of the brushes and soon he was perfectly fine with allowing me to preform a full body check. His paws, ears, teeth, tail etc.
Karma - "Try not to linger on my back end to much okay Lady?"
Finding a 'just right' place to rest was not an issue for Karma. He tried each of the mats and crates before making his decision.
Karma - "Does anyone use this one Lady? Can it be mine?"
By the end of our four hour visit, Karma had crashed in comfort.
Shhh sleep well gentle man. Mom will be here soon.
I believe Karma is ready to meet other buddies now and we’re looking forward to many fun days together.
Welcome to our pack Karma. You are a darling!
Karma - "Can I stay a little longer please mom?"

5 comments:

Nicole Broder said...

I love that you write these up, Del! It's so sweet to see his day with you and your commentary cracks me up ❤️

Del said...

Thank you for your comment Nicole. Your little man truly is a darling. I'm excited for him to meet some playmates.
PS Karma told me what the captions should be ;)

Alicia LaFetra said...

I finally got a chance to read this. So sweet! Thank you, Del! ❤️

Royal K9 Korner said...

I'm so glad you enjoy reading about Karma's daycare visit, Alicia. I'm hopeful there will be many more. Maybe reading about his days can help to lessen some of the miles between you, his mom and him.
Stay Tuned ;)

Anonymous said...

Indeed, it's very comforting to have these updates -- and to know that they're both happy there! 🥰 We hope to meet you in the spring when we come visit!