Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Sunday, June 16, 2024

Welcome 5 year old Poppy

 5 Year old Poppy is an American Cocker Spaniel, and what a sweetie she is!

She came for her Meet & Greet one month ago in the middle of May. Yes, you're right I'm a wee bit behind in my updates. We finally found a day for her to return for her first 4 hour visit.
Thank goodness her mom is so patient.
It's a pleasure to have this little girl join us. She came flying through the gate with the happiness and anticipation of a youngster about to open Christmas presents. Wow, she jumped straight into my heart like gangbusters.
She's 30 lbs of wiggly love. Her breed traits certainly shone through. She's a brave little soul who was up to every challenge of the day.
Welcome Miss Poppy.

Poppy has already had an opportunity to meet with Sir Karma. He was here on the day of Poppy's M&G. It's been difficult to find days with no other dogs booked. Fortunately Karma seems unfazed by Poppy's presence and mom and I were able to go ahead.

Karma - "I hope she doesn't like cookies"
Poppy - "Hello Sir, can you show me the way to the water park please?"

Poppy is very much a water girl and her favourite past time is the sprinklers. She spent the better part of her first half hour with me zipping from sprinkler to sprinkler in the back yard. There was no stopping her and no sense trying. This was at the top of her list for fun things to do today. And that she did.

Woo Hoo I hope you don't run out of water lady! This is G-R-E-A-T!
Well, the water did end shortly after that. I simply turned off the tap in order to have Poppy turn her attention elsewhere. She's very compliant when the water is gone. We did my usual walk around the yard together with out her harness on. I know. It totally goes against my new dog rule. I couldn't figure out how to fasten it. Pfft dummy me. When mom arrived to pick Poppy up she showed me its a simple little draw string stopper. Oh good grief! Never mind, Poppy and I made out just fine with out a lead on. Her sniffer went into high gear and I'm certain there wasn't an inch of ground that was missed. What good little hunter traits.

I discovered Poppy is not big on recall and so we did a fair bit of - ' I call you, you run the other direction. I zip around and holler, and pretend I'm having so much fun with out you, then you come running to me and get a reward!' Oh man, my neighbours must think I've lost it!   It worked and by the end of the 4 hrs, Poppy's recall had improved. We'll do more on future visits.

"You better have a really good treat ready, if you expect me to come running when you call."
Poppy enjoys toys and when I brought out the red Jolly Egg, it was an instant hit!

I can't wait to find out if Karma and Poppy will play together with it.
She also loves stuffies and had fun choosing just the right one both indoors and out. We spent time sitting together talking and sorting through the bins.
She's a doll and has her little paws already in my heart.
Poppy - "Do I hafta have the little toys? I'd rather have bigger ones please."
Me - "Absolutely Poppy I agree, these toys are not a best fit for you."
Poppy was great when I asked her to wait before going outdoors or at the top of the stairs for me.
Her little legs can manage my big set of stairs easily. She chose to use the ramp when she headed out up from the basement door. Each time she waited to be given the 'all done' before she moved.
What a good girl! 
Poppy - "Can I come down yet?"
Me - "You sure can good girl Poppy!
All done."
Poppy - "I think I get this. I hafta stop until you say, "All done."
Me - "You are such a clever girl Poppy"
Poppy's mom sent along a set of bells for Poppy. She uses this signal when she needs to go out.
Thank you so much 'Mom'. I know it'll help both Poppy and me on her stay overs here.
I can't wait until she asks to go out.
Poppy - "You're s'posed to put them on a closed door lady."
Me - "I get it Poppy. I promise.
Poppy was very inquisitive
Poppy was super comfortable in the house and watched me closely for direction. With practise I have no doubt she's going to understand what I require in order to make her visits safe.

I do a lot of vacuuming and it's one of the areas I need to see the level of comfort in. Poppy paid no attention when I brought the vacuum out. When I switched it on, she simply made the decision to move away from it. No issues there. Great! Thank you Poppy.

Poppy - "I'll wait on the porch for you to finish lady."
Poppy's next visit will be to meet a new buddy. We have a day set up and I'm excited for it to happen. 
She's going to be a fun and easy going visitor. I'm so happy mom decided to choose us.

"I'm not quite ready to leave yet. Okay if I stay a little longer?"
Thank you for a fun day Poppy. I'm looking forward to seeing you soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Del for taking such good care of my girl. She was very excited to come visit and I was comfortable knowing she was in such good hands.

Royal K9 Korner said...

Thank you for saying so Kathy. I know I certainly enjoyed her visit. She kept me in stitches all day. She is SO Cute!