Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Monday, January 22, 2018

What does Meniere's Disease have to do with Dog Day Care?

How appropriate this came up in my Facebook memories today. I wrote this post on January 22, 2018
Here it is again as a great reminder to me. I can over come!

I sat down at my computer this morning and was about to create a new post. I scanned through the last few entries and noticed a draft post I'd started back in May 2017.
Oh I forgot all about that one!  So much has been happening at Royal K9Korner. We haven't taken time to sit down and write like we used to.
This is a good time to get that draft edited and posted.
Here's a bit of what's been happening in my own personal health and how it relates to dog day care.

I've had an opportunity to explain to most of my friends already. For those who are unfamiliar with Meniere's Disease, I would strongly suggest taking a few moments to go to this site and have a read. It's very informative and will make this blog a more meaningful read.   https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/menieres-disease

So you say, "Oh this is a health related blog post. That's a bit different."   Well, yes. . . those who know me well, know that we've had a bit of a set back. Continuing on with Dog Care and having a health issue were a very real concern for me.  I wanted to continue to provide a safe, stable place for people to leave their pets while they had to be away.  Having two darlings of my own I know what it takes to provide that. I wondered if I could still take in extra dogs and do my normal daily routines.  So, I minimized my intakes and even closed my doors for a while and figured things out. Now I know, these days I'm okay. I can do this. Meniere's can bite me, but I have a strong backbone and bigger teeth and will show them if provoked!
Dont push me into a corner Meniere's. You dont want to see the response!
King, Princess MollyDawg and Squire Seven at play 2009

In 2010 I lost partial hearing in one ear and was diagnosed with Meniere's.  Then in April 2017 this disease decided to raise its ugly head once more and sent me into a tail spin.  Most noticeably was the 100% loss of hearing in my "good" ear.  It took me some time but I realized that millions of people cope everyday of their lives just fine with out hearing.  Technology provides well enough in that area. I have a wonderful hearing technician who is on top of and up to date with technology. I am looking forward to being accepted for a cochlear implant.  More about that in future posts.

 The biggest hurdle has been getting through a day while being unbalanced. We're not sure if/when being steady on my feet will become normal again.
I'm doing several balance activities, ( I love Tai Chi) and loads of practice exercises to  stay as balanced as I can for now.  The dogs think it's a great game and we laugh alot.  They have had to learn that we do things slower.  We walk slowly and more surefooted. Gone are the days of running out the door and zipping round the corner. I believe it's having benefits for all the dogs that visit.
Squire Seven, Lady May, Princess MollyDawg and King (Rest In Peace)
One of several benches placed in our yard. 
The fences are higher and the divided yard now provides safe areas for energetic dogs to get that run and expel their zoomies. My yard now has several park benches in it where I can sit and safely throw a ball for the dogs. What a great way to teach and reinforce retrieving skills.

 I know the constant roaring in my head will always be apart of my life. Tinnitus is something I've dealt with all my life. There are days when it's difficult to determine if the noises are internal or external. Take it from me, they're all in my head.  I didn't know everyone else didn't have the same noises until I was in my teen years. They've just increased since the Meniere's decided to flareup. Some days are better than others, the noises are always there, just more tolerable some days. The dogs don't notice that part. They still talk just as loud as they ever did when they play or want attention.

I will continue to do my best to keep my body and mind healthy.  I eat different, try to sleep well at night and rest when I need to during the day.
Some may be concerned about the care their dog will receive at Royal K9 Korner. I would invite you to do your research. Ask about me, come and visit. Contact me, I will happily walk the premises with you and your dog and answer any questions you have. I will gladly send you the names and contact information for the moms and dads of those who trust and believe that their dog is safe, and in caring hands when they stay with us. I look forward to meeting you.

So, what does Meniere's Disease have to do with dog day care?
 Not much really.
   At least not to me.

Please feel free to email rk9korner@gmx.com for more information

No comments: