Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Welcome 1 Year Old Freddy

Red brindle mastiff mix, Freddy came for his private four hours just the other day. This youngster is big and strong and very inquisitive. He hasn't met many other doggy friends and he really wanted Lady May to play. Sorry buddy, she's not really a good playmate.
He tried to initiate play several times. Even though he was polite about it, his size and big movements were just too much for the delicate Lady May. It was turning out to be a big bore for young Freddy. I bundled up Lady May and brought her up on the porch. She could watch in the sunshine from a safe distance and Freddy could have the entire yard to romp in. 
Freddy - " I only wanna play"
Lady May - "Ya, well, go find someone else to play with."
Mom would like to see Freddy come a couple times a week for a playday. I'm hopeful I can set up days with others for him very soon. If your buddy would be suitable, give me a call. Let's book a day!
During his visit I went through my usual activities to get to know Freddy. To gain his confidence and reassure him things are fun and safe here.  He doesn't seem to mind the noisy gates, the vacuum, or knocks at the door. We didn't try the doorbell yet.
Freddy showed little to no interest in the toys this day.  He followed me around and stayed close. His big head is above counter level and he made sure to check it out. I allow that early on. I walk with the dog and correct with a touch of my finger, in this case, Freddy's neck.  The dogs learn early on, there is NOTHING on the counter for them. It gets disinfected regularly and doesn't smell like food. The added bonus is my kitchen fence/gate. It is usually up when new comers are present. A clear signal to them, this is MY area only.
Freddy allowed me to check his body from ears to toes with only a big lick on my hand.  The importance of this routine is knowing his comfort level in advance of any medical reasons. 
He passed with flying colours.
Freddy - "Look Lady! I match your kitchen runner!
I'm in camo :) "
It was time to head back outdoors. I knew for a fact mommy was hoping for a bit of exercise while Freddy was here. Getting outdoors means yet another practice session.  I have allocated an area by the door where dogs can sit and wait while I do various things. Like put on my gloves, hat, boots etc. I also use it as a practice to getting close to others. Going outdoors in a crowd takes practice and bumping into others is normal. It must be tolerated. Step one is where can I sit.  Freddy is big so he needed to learn the size of his body in this area. When others are present Freddy will get first choice due to his size. With in a few trials he was turning around and sitting in a comfortable spot perfectly. Good boy Freddy.
Step one complete!
Freddy waits for Lady May to go out first.
We practised going in and out of the house several times.  Freddy headed out doors calmly on this day, When other dogs are present the excitement of outside can trigger a more excited state of mind. I try to create a routine of where to sit so I can safely take Lady May outdoors first. Depending on the number of dogs, sometimes Lady May goes out well in advance of the others.  It only took a few times for Freddy to understand I needed him waiting in place until he's given the 'come on out' signal.
Good boy Freddy!

I brought out the toys that I thought might be fun and ran around offering play. I put on my "Look at me, I'm having fun" face and encouraged Freddy to join in. I know that his home buddy, Ruby is a soccer lover so I tried that routine. It definitely brought a smile to his face and I'm pretty sure he was certainly entertained. However,  "Uh, no thank you." said Fred. "I'll just sit here and chew this tug toy okay?"  He's a happy boy and with the right playmate I know he'll be over the moon to run and play.

For the first few hours we were outdoors and I think it was me who got the exercise that day.  Freddy did do a bit of romping and he seemed altogether happy enough.  We practised his recall routine and he made me laugh big time.  His mommy gives him a whistle and a signal and Freddy comes quickly to her side. He circles her legs and goes under them to sit in front of her.  This position gives mom an opportunity for better control, in order to attach his lead or adjust his collar or just simply hold him.
I need to note here - Mom is quite a bit taller than I am. Yes, my leggies are shorter.  I was well aware of that before I began this routine and braced myself sufficiently. On cue the big boy came to me slowly. He was nonchalant about it but did his routine perfectly. I on the other hand did a tippy toe balance to keep upright and stay on my own feet and not on his back. I giggled and rewarded Freddy and did a fake collar adjustment and quickly side stepped off him. Man I was giggling so much I'm sure the  neighbours thought I'd gone mad! lol Thank you for your calm demeanour Freddy.

Time for a nap before mom returns.

Freddy has impeccable indoor manners. He seems to know his size and walks slow and careful. He hasn't learned that being in the kitchen with me, can sometimes result in cookie time. Where others head straight to the gate and line up to watch for treats, Freddy just wandered in and rested. Such a good boy.  I discovered he loves, carrots and cantaloupe, watermelon and even a small strip of green pepper. I wonder if he'll be quicker to the gate on his next visit? 

Oblivious to me cutting up carrots. Freddy just lays quietly.
I also discovered Freddy is a bit nervous of my ceiling fans. They were on slow, the day of his M&G. they were not on this day.  As soon as he came into the house he immediately cowered and looked up at the fan in both rooms. He did a bit of a slink out, and came back in cautiously when asked. I was able to redirect his attention but will keep this in mind for future summer visits.

Freddy loves attention and can get a bit demanding if he's ignored. Yes, that's right. He's a PUPPY!
He's big but his brain is still learning.  His size makes redirecting and correcting inappropriate behaviours very important.  Freddy can be a bit 'mouthy', though not overly so. He's not what I call gentle and he still needs to learn people are precious and fragile. Mom is aware of that and has plans to continue working on it. After all, he's only 11 months old!
We had a great first four hours.  He is an all round good boy and he's certainly welcome back.

Welcome to our extended pack Freddy!

No comments: