Royal K9 Korner Facebook

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Welcome 8 Year old Coco

Welcome 8 yr old Labradoodle Coco

As with all new comers, Labradoodle, Coco started off our first four hour private playday, wearing a harness and long safety lead. We headed into the smaller back play-area and I began some basic recall games.  This boy ran to my side 100% of the times I called him. What a good boy!
He continued to 'watch' me intently the entire time we played together. Needless to say, he was harness free with in a very short time.
Now, that's certainly not to say he can be harness free when new buddy introductions happen. As usual, we'll gauge the safety of each individual meeting as we go along.
I was going to leave the long lead on for a while longer and then made the decision to just let him run free. He was happy to be in the yard with me and made no attempt to seek a way out.
We played ball most of the morning and into the afternoon. That seems to be his toy of choice. 

He also loved being on the porch and sat quietly while I pulled out several different toys.  We tried all the different types. Stuffies, squeakies, tuff chew toys, soft chewies, tug toys and balls. Coco came back to the ball every single time. 

The only visiting dog present means the toys are all up for grabs.
What about these toys Coco? Other dogs love these ones. Let's try them for a little while. I'll play with them with you. Okay?

Coco - "Look Lady, thiz is the one I wanna' play wiv. Okay? You kin put the rest away."
Are you sure Coco? Look there's lots to choose from.  

Where's the ball?

Okay, he's a ball dog! Out we went and found the 'just right' sized one for Coco. When we started ball play Coco still had a long lead on. I took it off very soon after. There was just no need to have it on him. Gotta' love it when dog's are immediately comfortable being left at daycare. Paws crossed his comfort level remains when we start doing introductions.  We'll go slow to allow for greater success, for sure. This big boy is going to make a wonderful playmate for some lucky dogs. I'm sure.

Can I take this long line off me now lady?

We spent the rest of the day playing and learning about the yard, play areas and each other. There is always so much to smell and investigate Coco made sure he checked out every inch!

Coco is very compliant and allowed all the necessary husbandry duties from teeth checking, to checking ears, eyes, nose and paws and tummy cleaning. When it was time to clean his muddy paws before he came upstairs Coco literally passed me his big muddy paws and turned so I could get at his back paws. What an adorable character!

A break from ball play to check out the smells.

"Come on Lady throw the ball!
Coco enjoyed the teeth cleaning treat mommy left for him and then settled down for cozy time. He slept very soundly for an entire hour. I walked around him and puttered with house work while he slept.

Thanks for the treat mommy. I loved it!

4 hours goes very fast and before we knew it, it was home time. We had a wonderful afternoon and I can't wait for Coco to return. He was very respectful of Lady May even though she ignored his polite gestures to play. He choose to lay beside her when it was quiet time. What a gentle man!

Im hopeful we can schedule a few playdays with one of our 'regulars'.  I'll be going through 'the list' to see who's booked and who might be a great buddy for Coco.

Lady May - "You know you have your own mat, right?"
Coco - " I know. But, I like being close to you."
Welcome to Royal K9 Korner Coco!

No comments: